Monday, June 20, 2011

Conference Wrap-Up

Back from the WIFYR Conference and trying to get back in the swing of things. It's tricky to assimilate what I learned about writing into the mundane, everyday life, so I wrote a post to help me remember some fundamental things that I learned. I can't totally describe my experience without using a bunch of cliches, so I don't think I will. But suffice it to say that I'm inspired enough to dive in without looking back.

Some things I learned:
1. I'm a writer.
2. Don't be coy with your readers.
3. Don't let craft get in the way of creativity.

What I need to work on:
Creating works that are true to me. Works that, whether they ever get published or not, I am satisfied with.

Last night I tried to explain to my husband what that meant. I told him about the time I went to a piano competition in eighth grade. I'd toiled and slaved over this song--Mozart's Fantasy in D minor--with absolute focus. I'd worked on it so much that it became part of me. It became personal. The morning of the competition, I had little butterflies, but not because I wasn't prepared. I knew I'd done everything I could to prepare. I only felt nervous because I wondered if all the work was going to pay off or not.

It did. After I finished the song, I had The Feeling--the one where you know you've nailed it. It wouldn't have mattered what the judges said, I was satisfied. I had made something good. I did end up taking first place, but I'd like to think that it wouldn't have mattered. Sure, there might have been disappointment that nobody had appreciated it as much as I did, but I think I still would have been satisfied with my effort.

That's where I want to get with my writing. I want to work and slave and focus so much that it becomes personal. So whether it's published or not doesn't matter, because I will have nailed it. I will know I've made something good.

3 comments:

  1. I love the things you learned, Jer, and I'm so glad you and Joan had such a great experience! I totally know what you mean about "The Feeling." I had it my sophomore year of high school, semi-final round of Drama at the State Speech Tournament. Forgot that there was even an audience, judges, performance...just came out at the other end of it feeling like it was all on the table, for better or worse (turned out for better!) but still, I learned that THAT was the result I'd been looking for, not the trophy at the end (although trophies are admittedly cool).

    I think, too, that your #3 is especially important when considering work with critique groups and industry standards. We all know what THEY say is supposed to be in place at every step of the way and we know why. BUT first and foremost, tell your story and tell it the way you want to tell it.

    Can you expand on #2, though? What do you mean?

    And finally, yes, ma'am...you ARE a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh... guess I should've read "What a Hook Is" first!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Jer! I want to get to that "nailed it" place with my writing too.

    ReplyDelete